Sunday, September 04, 2005

Workin` Gal

Friday night was my first time on the jobby. I`m currently teaching adults, so basically anyone from 15 years old to 99. The maximum number of people I have in a class is 4. On Friday, we covered topics such as talking to old friends; talking about which townhouse, flat, apartment, McMansion one likes and why; and ordering pizza. There is also a freestyle-talking room called Voice in which we can talk about anything - so we nattered about music festivals, floristry, Tasmania, bushfires and earthquakes. Most interestment!

The students are very hard-working and always strive to correct themselves and get everything right - they are most impressive and inspiring. My office is a small one with about 8 teachers including Kiwis, Aussies and Canadians. The office is located in the heart of Hiroshima`s shopping district and right near the nightlife (and redlight) districts. It takes me 20 minutes to get to work by walking and taking the charming, rattly old streetcar.

I`ve noticed that most teachers have acquired an International Accent. For example, Kiwis sound a bit like Kiwis, but they also sound English and American. Aussies are the same. Canadians sound a bit British and Canadian, while Americans sound just like Americans. So beware, Miss Ember`s accent might morph into a strange Frankenaccent. Perhaps my Geordie twang will be imparted on my students, as in `Howaaaay, Takashi, let`s gan into the toon!`. Or perhaps not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Random Citizen said...

Have you taught them how to order a Can of Coke (Koak) yet?

9:19 am  
Blogger Miss Ember said...

I can I can`t!

2:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home