Bathhouse Madness
Tonight I treated myself to a visit at the Sento Spa which is two streets away from Tour Club and behind another big-arse temple. Lots of Japanese go to bathhouses if they don't have a bath at home. Sento Spa seems to be a popular hang-out and gossip-house for the local elderly women of Kyoto. I entered the changerooms where lots of old women were undressing and cackling away in a rather contagious manner. They had me smiling immediately and several charming ladies helped me out and instructed me in the art of the Japanese bathhouse.
First get a basket in which to put your precious things then stow on the shelf. Then collect bucket and stool and proceed to the shower. Grab scratchy loofah towel thingy and scrub all of one's bits until they are bright red and are about to fall off. Then fill up bucket and throw over oneself. Repeat 10 times. Then make your way through the several spas on offer, including:
+ the ultra-violent spa:yes, this one has a little wave machiney thing that feels like three giant sumo wrestlers are pummelling your back with their fists. Leaves one bruised and slightly vague.
+ the icelandic spa: this one, despite the absence of ice floes, is direct from the North Pole. Ice-waterfalls spout from lion’s mouths in the walls.All the elderly women shriek loudly when submerging themselves in it. Takes me about 10 minutes to submerge whole body; emerge slightly shaky and ready to keel over.
+ the lav paper spa: this one is purple in hue and smells alot like perfumed lav paper (as does the fan I bought. whenever I flutter it about I think of Sorbent and labradors).
+ the electric bath: yes, I got a shock too. A bloody big one. When the key around my wrist came into contact with a certain bathroom tile, I received such a jolt as to cause another quake in Tokyo. Nearly swooned in shock. Electricity + baths = BAD.
My body has never been cleaner and in more shock than it is now. Stumbled back to Tour Club with a body like jelly and received many bemused looks from businessmen and women cycling home.
First get a basket in which to put your precious things then stow on the shelf. Then collect bucket and stool and proceed to the shower. Grab scratchy loofah towel thingy and scrub all of one's bits until they are bright red and are about to fall off. Then fill up bucket and throw over oneself. Repeat 10 times. Then make your way through the several spas on offer, including:
+ the ultra-violent spa:yes, this one has a little wave machiney thing that feels like three giant sumo wrestlers are pummelling your back with their fists. Leaves one bruised and slightly vague.
+ the icelandic spa: this one, despite the absence of ice floes, is direct from the North Pole. Ice-waterfalls spout from lion’s mouths in the walls.All the elderly women shriek loudly when submerging themselves in it. Takes me about 10 minutes to submerge whole body; emerge slightly shaky and ready to keel over.
+ the lav paper spa: this one is purple in hue and smells alot like perfumed lav paper (as does the fan I bought. whenever I flutter it about I think of Sorbent and labradors).
+ the electric bath: yes, I got a shock too. A bloody big one. When the key around my wrist came into contact with a certain bathroom tile, I received such a jolt as to cause another quake in Tokyo. Nearly swooned in shock. Electricity + baths = BAD.
My body has never been cleaner and in more shock than it is now. Stumbled back to Tour Club with a body like jelly and received many bemused looks from businessmen and women cycling home.


1 Comments:
glad your ok - Stu mentioned the 'bath incident' last night I was concerned!
xxx
Post a Comment
<< Home