Summer is nigh!
Of late the weather has become balmy and hot, heralding the forthcoming arrival of summer, its lazy days, its ice-cream of purest green, and its many bothersome insects. Already I have spotted strange, waspish creatures - swinging about great throbbing stings like miniature swords - buzzing about in a frenzied manner. This is the one aspect of summer that I dread, for many times last summer I was dive-bombed indiscriminately by killer wasps, gigantic beetles, moths the size of sparrows and scratching cicada, and I only arrived in August! So this year I expect a full-scale attack from the insect world, and I will have to ready many parasols with which to beat back the fluttersome masses.
I must say I *am* looking forward to collecting summer parasols and fans. Already the shops are stocking many a Victoriana-style parasol, with differing patterns of polka dots, stripes, purple, red, pink embroidery and trimmings of lace. The fans are simply decorated with leaping lunar rabbits and pretty dragonflies. My favourite colour at the moment is rich purple, inspired by the various violet blooms I have spotted of late, including the lantern-like tendrils of wisteria that are flowering near the river.
I have also indulged in my first summery dish of cold soba noodles. I adore this dish! It`s usually served with radish and seaweed, plus tempura pumpkin and okra. It reminds me of my first summery days in Japan spent in Kyoto, when I oft lazed about in garden cafes under a red parasol.
I must say I *am* looking forward to collecting summer parasols and fans. Already the shops are stocking many a Victoriana-style parasol, with differing patterns of polka dots, stripes, purple, red, pink embroidery and trimmings of lace. The fans are simply decorated with leaping lunar rabbits and pretty dragonflies. My favourite colour at the moment is rich purple, inspired by the various violet blooms I have spotted of late, including the lantern-like tendrils of wisteria that are flowering near the river.
I have also indulged in my first summery dish of cold soba noodles. I adore this dish! It`s usually served with radish and seaweed, plus tempura pumpkin and okra. It reminds me of my first summery days in Japan spent in Kyoto, when I oft lazed about in garden cafes under a red parasol.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home