Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A pendulous bag of monies

Huzzah! The Emperor`s Bank of Nippon was kind enough yesterday to deposit a handsome sum of monies into my velvet-lined purse; yen that can be stowed away for Sgt M`s highly-anticipated visit in July and our much-vaunted Operation Speckled Jim, or, in other words, a misadventure in the neon heart of Tokyo.

I cheerfully splurged on merry-making with fellow scholars last night. The grand tour was to start at Opium, but the den was closed due to a raid, so we holed up in New York and feasted on tofu and seaweed salad, vegetarian pasta and, my traditional fave, a bowl of good ol` mash, all washed down with large amounts of plum wine. Then we sojourned to Koba for further beverages in the delightful company of resident heavy metal guru, the gregarious Bom-san.

It was here I made the acquaintance of the charming Miss Nattsu, a true lady, who is employed by one of the famous teahouses of the town. She kindly invited me to Toukasan* and granted me permission to borrow her spare yukata for the occassion. This festival falls immediately after my birthday, and will be a super exhibition of summery colour and flair. I will have to take the old camera-box and snap plenty of pics!

*Peregrinate to the Events section for early June to obtain a schedule.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sgt M said...

Much anticipated indeed! With all the endless drudgery of drills and parades back at A barracks, the planned invasion of Ol' Nippon is enough to make one as giddy as a school boy!

The spurs are sharpened, the brass polished and the boots given that extra special coat of phlegm and boot black.

Now if we can only get those damnable fly boys to remain sober enough we'll all be over sooner than you can say "God bless the Queen and Aunty Janes' cotton socks", and be back home in time for afternoon tea.

Smashing I say! I'm so excited I think I shall polish my boots again!

4:52 pm  
Blogger Miss Ember said...

I say, Sgt M, your piccie is indeed rather dashing. Do the boys in the Flying Corp have little piccies of you in their bunks? An old school chum told me this is definitely true for the Women`s Auxiliary Balloon Corp, many of the privates have those limited edition Gold Cigarette Cards of you, taken way back in `02.

By the way, we must peruse the August schedule of Edo`s dark dance halls, hopefully there`ll be something on when we land in the capital.

12:56 pm  
Blogger Sgt M said...

I do believe my dear lady that there is quite possibly a 'dames only' night that you may wish to peruse on the Sunday.

Whilst putting on a skirt might make those chaps back in the Edinburgh regiment happy, its not how I like to be found in the middle of an invasion, so I am more than happy hold your parasol whilst you satisfy your girlish whims.

Apart from that, it seems intel is someone stifled out of old Edo - the boys on the ground may have gone native for all we know (its to be expected from the provincials). Quite possibly we may find a dance hall on the saturday were we may have a martini or two and even take a turn on the dance floor for a waltz.

3:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home