The Japanese Squiffermarket
Here in Nippon one can buy alcohol at the supermarket. So while browsing through the tempura sets, fishheads and fair noodles green, why not pick up a carton of sake to take home too? Many a beverage is sold in cartons, ala Crusta Orange Juice. As well as sake, there are spirits, wine (including a bottle of Penfolds, which gave me many a flashback of nights in Old Sidonee Town and Magill University) and my current fave, plum wine.
Plum wine is most refreshing served chilled in a tall glass with a big wallop of ice cubes. It is very sweet, but not as syrupy or sticky as Australian dessert wines. I also adore sake, especially when served hot. But as I`ve discovered, the Japanese are very sensible so that when the weather is hot and humid, sake and noodles (especially soba) are served cold, and in winter they`re served hot. At first I was put off by the sight of green soba noodles in a bamboo dish with a few ice cubes. But icy cold noodles are so invigorating in this humid weather! And washed down with a chilled glass of plum wine - marvellous!
Plum wine is most refreshing served chilled in a tall glass with a big wallop of ice cubes. It is very sweet, but not as syrupy or sticky as Australian dessert wines. I also adore sake, especially when served hot. But as I`ve discovered, the Japanese are very sensible so that when the weather is hot and humid, sake and noodles (especially soba) are served cold, and in winter they`re served hot. At first I was put off by the sight of green soba noodles in a bamboo dish with a few ice cubes. But icy cold noodles are so invigorating in this humid weather! And washed down with a chilled glass of plum wine - marvellous!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home