Can I have another piece of chocolate ... loaf?
In Japan, bread is sold in bags of 4-6 slices and costs around $3. So one can imagine the amount of `loaves` one devours, especially in a household of three people. Usually the bread is ultra-bleached Omo white in hue. There are a few wholegrain varieties, but bright white tends to dominate. As I fancied nibbling on something of a more bread-like colouring, I happily pounced on the last remaining pack of brown bread.
While toasting my brown bread at home, a strange smell infiltrated the kitchen. It was the rich, sweet homely smell of baking. I whipped out my slice of toast and gave it a big sniff. Alack! Behold! This wasn`t brown bread! I waved it in front of my flatmate.
`Does this smell like cake to you?`
`It does. Chocolate cake, I think.`
And indeed it was! I`d mistakenly purchased a loaf of pure chocolate! And there, on the bottom of the packet, was a tiny picture of a cocoa bean - the only thing to denote that this indeed was a loaf of chocolate bread. I have since learned that chocolate bread is simply wrong. And there it still sits, forlorn and rejected, alone on top of the bread bin.
While toasting my brown bread at home, a strange smell infiltrated the kitchen. It was the rich, sweet homely smell of baking. I whipped out my slice of toast and gave it a big sniff. Alack! Behold! This wasn`t brown bread! I waved it in front of my flatmate.
`Does this smell like cake to you?`
`It does. Chocolate cake, I think.`
And indeed it was! I`d mistakenly purchased a loaf of pure chocolate! And there, on the bottom of the packet, was a tiny picture of a cocoa bean - the only thing to denote that this indeed was a loaf of chocolate bread. I have since learned that chocolate bread is simply wrong. And there it still sits, forlorn and rejected, alone on top of the bread bin.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home