Hip-hop, ya don`t stop!
Miss-Ember-in-hiphop-nightclub Shock! World in crisis!
Yes, due to the dearth (or death) of goth clubs here in Hiroshima - and the overabundance of gaijin bars where marines go-go dance and grope anything female in sight - Miss Ember ventured bravely into the world of hiphop on Saturday night, accompanied by two Kiwi scholars.
Hiphop is very popular amongst boy-and-girl locals alike which meant Club Jamaica was packed with bouncy, happy Japanese. Club Jamaica is a basement club and `twas most squishy but pleasantly decorated in gaudy chandeliers and a forest of bare bulbs hanging from the ceiling, like some sort of Yoko Ono exhibition. Many a J-girl was decked out in bling finery: short skirt, oversized basketball sneakers, baseball cap turned backwards, push-up bra (nb - all Japanese lingerie shops stock padded bras, which means I`ll be hard-pushed finding something unpadded) and various gold accessories. The boys were baggy-panted and tight-singleted, but thankfully didn`t overdo the gold jewellery.
It was interesting to watch the Japanese lose their reserve - they went crazy ... dancing their hearts out alone or in pairs, whooping along to the music. Some were quite noicely choreographed in their leapings and tumblings so that I felt trapped in a peculiar, Oriental-style Janet Jackson film clip. My fellow Kiwi female friend and I had to fend off the attention of a couple of gate-crashing marines and the occassional Japanese shiatsu masseuse (`your energy is in your elbows!`), but along with our beefy Kiwi protector, we boogied on down to songs about leaving one`s car keys at a party and lovely ballads about well-endowed Latino girls.
All-in-all, a fun night was had by all, and we made it safely to Churios for the traditional end-of-night falafal (the best I`ve ever had!). I have since discovered that an indie Britpop night is scheduled in early October so will be there with bells (and pinstripes) on.
Yes, due to the dearth (or death) of goth clubs here in Hiroshima - and the overabundance of gaijin bars where marines go-go dance and grope anything female in sight - Miss Ember ventured bravely into the world of hiphop on Saturday night, accompanied by two Kiwi scholars.
Hiphop is very popular amongst boy-and-girl locals alike which meant Club Jamaica was packed with bouncy, happy Japanese. Club Jamaica is a basement club and `twas most squishy but pleasantly decorated in gaudy chandeliers and a forest of bare bulbs hanging from the ceiling, like some sort of Yoko Ono exhibition. Many a J-girl was decked out in bling finery: short skirt, oversized basketball sneakers, baseball cap turned backwards, push-up bra (nb - all Japanese lingerie shops stock padded bras, which means I`ll be hard-pushed finding something unpadded) and various gold accessories. The boys were baggy-panted and tight-singleted, but thankfully didn`t overdo the gold jewellery.
It was interesting to watch the Japanese lose their reserve - they went crazy ... dancing their hearts out alone or in pairs, whooping along to the music. Some were quite noicely choreographed in their leapings and tumblings so that I felt trapped in a peculiar, Oriental-style Janet Jackson film clip. My fellow Kiwi female friend and I had to fend off the attention of a couple of gate-crashing marines and the occassional Japanese shiatsu masseuse (`your energy is in your elbows!`), but along with our beefy Kiwi protector, we boogied on down to songs about leaving one`s car keys at a party and lovely ballads about well-endowed Latino girls.
All-in-all, a fun night was had by all, and we made it safely to Churios for the traditional end-of-night falafal (the best I`ve ever had!). I have since discovered that an indie Britpop night is scheduled in early October so will be there with bells (and pinstripes) on.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home