Hello Kitty, Hello Kyoto!
My first evening in Kyoto was magical and a most excellent start to my misadventures here. Lucky for me the day I arrived was the culmination of "Urabon," commonly known as O-Bon, which is an annual Buddhist ritual to help ease the suffering of souls in the next world. O-Bon ends with the floating of lanterns on the river and the Gozan Okuribi (Bonfires) that light the way back to the other world.
Last night in the Arashiyama district of Kyoto, I wandered down bustling streets and passed by charming shops selling fans, dragonfly hankies, slippers and kimonos (I purchased a soft pink butterfly fan to match my pink 50s polka-dot dress). Everyone was heading to the river to partake in the festivities, and many men, women and children were dressed in traditional robes, kimonos and wooden sandals. It was an enchanting sight to watch the bobble of obis and to hear the glockenspiel clock-clock of wooden sandals on the road as we made our way to the bridge.
The bridge was thronged with crowds. On one side of the river, boats were adorned with white paper lanterns. Two of the boats steadily burned a ragged flame, like dragon's breath. On the other side of the bridge, a raised platform was strung with red paper lanterns, and from it men released white lanterns onto the water. The bobbing lamps sailed downstream in a glowing parade of warmth and light and candle-dancing.
Along the riverbank was a hubbub of kimino-clad kiddies, couples hand-in-hand, and food stalls that steamed with mostly meaty flavours. I spied many people munching baby octopus on a stick. I nibbled on potato and onion pancakes and sat by the riverside watching the lanterns float by. Above, on the opposite hillside, a bonfire in the shape of a Chinese character was lit (meaning "strength" apparently). This was one of five such bonfires - it was rather reminiscent of the lighting of the beacons in the Lord of the Rings, minus hobbits, dwarves etc.
Last night in the Arashiyama district of Kyoto, I wandered down bustling streets and passed by charming shops selling fans, dragonfly hankies, slippers and kimonos (I purchased a soft pink butterfly fan to match my pink 50s polka-dot dress). Everyone was heading to the river to partake in the festivities, and many men, women and children were dressed in traditional robes, kimonos and wooden sandals. It was an enchanting sight to watch the bobble of obis and to hear the glockenspiel clock-clock of wooden sandals on the road as we made our way to the bridge.
The bridge was thronged with crowds. On one side of the river, boats were adorned with white paper lanterns. Two of the boats steadily burned a ragged flame, like dragon's breath. On the other side of the bridge, a raised platform was strung with red paper lanterns, and from it men released white lanterns onto the water. The bobbing lamps sailed downstream in a glowing parade of warmth and light and candle-dancing.
Along the riverbank was a hubbub of kimino-clad kiddies, couples hand-in-hand, and food stalls that steamed with mostly meaty flavours. I spied many people munching baby octopus on a stick. I nibbled on potato and onion pancakes and sat by the riverside watching the lanterns float by. Above, on the opposite hillside, a bonfire in the shape of a Chinese character was lit (meaning "strength" apparently). This was one of five such bonfires - it was rather reminiscent of the lighting of the beacons in the Lord of the Rings, minus hobbits, dwarves etc.


1 Comments:
Sounds excellent. Did you take pictures?
I think this is something Australia lacks - old traditional festivals with a deeper sense of poetry and lyricism. Parades just doesn't cut it.
Post a Comment
<< Home