Next stop: Kobe and Osaka
After the Tokyo leg, I caught the express to Kobe where I met up with old colleague, Master Samuel, who took me on a grand tour of Kobe's streets, shopping arcades and parks. We meandered through Chinatown and paused for a pistachio icecream. As we ate, we watched an old man with his pet squirrel monkey, the latter hopping up a tree-trunk, then nestled against its owner's ear and twittered into it incessantly about monkey-ish topics of the day. We also wandered the sombre memorial parks to the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995. Portside, one can find a terrible scar along the prom there, where concrete slabs are rented to pieces and several London-style streetlamps lurch crookedly in opposite directions. The waves lap at the ruins as ferries speed by. Later, we took a ride on a ferry to admire the port and take in the sea air.
The next day, we rendezvoused early with Mistress Katherine in Osaka, and headed to a flea-market at Shintennoji Temple (pictured). This temple market is a delight for the scavenger or treasure-seeker: it was packed with stalls selling old kimonos, fans, secondhand parasols, Japanese antiques and general odds-and-sods. Even scythes were abundant. Mistress K pondered the parasols and we leafed through the yellowed, frail paper of discarded uchiwa fans (shaped like a paddle). K settled on a most elegant parasol fringed with lace while Master Samuel ogled the farming implements. I came away with a kitsune bell: a small, ceramic bell in the shape of a white fox's head, whiskered in gold. The weather was stifling, so we ensured there were many stops for refreshments, fan-paddling and dabbing of the sweat-towel against one's glowing brow.
Later, we meandered through the labyrinthine America-mura, a network of tight alleyways lined with fashionable shoppes, bohemian nooks, cool cafes and teahouses. Over lunch, we watched the bright young things swan by and I have noticed that in both Osaka and Kobe, couples dress in a complimentary fashion, with near-matching accessories and the same colours and patterns. Dropped into a random gothique boutique, where I purchased further supplies of Pillarbox Red which should see me through the remaining summer hols. Finally, we stopped in an English bookshop, Random Walk, where I picked up Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction, which I swear I've read before but enjoyed reading it again. Adored the pesky swans and the spot-on modern cultural references (babyboomers renovating a piggery; 30-something living in loft apartment with glass-brick lav and numerous credit cards maxed out). Adrain always makes me chortle out loud in public!
The next day, we rendezvoused early with Mistress Katherine in Osaka, and headed to a flea-market at Shintennoji Temple (pictured). This temple market is a delight for the scavenger or treasure-seeker: it was packed with stalls selling old kimonos, fans, secondhand parasols, Japanese antiques and general odds-and-sods. Even scythes were abundant. Mistress K pondered the parasols and we leafed through the yellowed, frail paper of discarded uchiwa fans (shaped like a paddle). K settled on a most elegant parasol fringed with lace while Master Samuel ogled the farming implements. I came away with a kitsune bell: a small, ceramic bell in the shape of a white fox's head, whiskered in gold. The weather was stifling, so we ensured there were many stops for refreshments, fan-paddling and dabbing of the sweat-towel against one's glowing brow.Later, we meandered through the labyrinthine America-mura, a network of tight alleyways lined with fashionable shoppes, bohemian nooks, cool cafes and teahouses. Over lunch, we watched the bright young things swan by and I have noticed that in both Osaka and Kobe, couples dress in a complimentary fashion, with near-matching accessories and the same colours and patterns. Dropped into a random gothique boutique, where I purchased further supplies of Pillarbox Red which should see me through the remaining summer hols. Finally, we stopped in an English bookshop, Random Walk, where I picked up Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction, which I swear I've read before but enjoyed reading it again. Adored the pesky swans and the spot-on modern cultural references (babyboomers renovating a piggery; 30-something living in loft apartment with glass-brick lav and numerous credit cards maxed out). Adrain always makes me chortle out loud in public!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home