Friday, August 17, 2007

Love thieves


Whilst in Tokyo, I'm staying at the Super Ritz-in-Miniature Hotel. After a long day of study and sightseeing, I bend my weary feet from the station to the Ritz's champagne-fizz glass doors, and in order to get there I must weave my way through yakitori bars, izakayas, braying takoyaki sellers, boys handing out fans advertising electrical appliances and girls passing out tissue packets advertising English conversation schools with a jolly "konnichiwa!". Also present amid this regular throng are the hosts, the suave sophisticats of Japan's nightlife districts (sometimes exhibiting an edge of sleaze) who wish to tempt gals to drink with them in a festival of flattery, flirtation and dangerous liaisions with one's purse, more commonly known as the host bar.

To admire the common host "look", squiz here.

Like hostess bars for men, where men pay high prices for companionable conversation and a hand on one's knee over expensive drinks with pretty gals, the host bar is the same idea but the staff are handsome men and the customers women with yen a-plenty. One must pay an entrance fee, an extra charge for choosing a host from the catalogue, one's drinks and one's host's drinks (at inflated prices) and a table charge (private booths extra). A costly business!

The other night I myself was accosted by a stunningly handsome host, who had cheekbones so sharp one could dice a mango on them. Dressed to kill in a severe black suit, and bleached hair spiked immaculately, he appeared like some dark anime prince from the shadows. He tried to curl an arm around me and fluttered fliers in a charming manner in an attempt to usher me toward the bar's discreet entrance. I declined, but I would be most curious to go along to a host bar with a Japanese friend. That hair is a sight to behold! I must see about it.

Miss Bennett recently mentioned to me a documentary about hosts and their clients in Osaka: "The Great Happiness Space: Tale of an Osaka Love Thief" by Jake Clennel (the talkie of which can be viewed here) and it is a most engaging glimpse into the glamour-in-the-gutter world of ersatz love. I recommend watching the whole talkie (it has English subtitles), although sometimes the reel is a tad jumpy.

The notion of paid companionship and conversation reminds one of the iconic geisha and the pleasure houses of Old Japan. This industry, even now, is known as mizu shobai or the water trade. It is thought this name originates from the Tokugawa period (1603-1868), when bath-houses areas expanded and offered extra services beyond a quick sponge-down and dunking. The meanings of such water associations are eloquently put here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home