Saturday, August 18, 2007

Polish the silverware, Jeeves!


Another interesting development in Japan's entertainment circuit is that, in addition to host bars for women (discussed below), there are also butler cafes for women (the opposite of the famous maid cafes for male patrons).

Miss B and I took an excursion to the famed Swallowtail Cafe, but alas, we couldn't gain admittance as it was fully booked! The cafe is so popular, that one must book a session in advance online which my kanji skills aren't up to yet. On arrival we noted a "Session Time" board which, in gilded lettering, showed 40-minute "appointments" that one could reserve by telephone or letter. We decided to risk it for a biscuit and try our luck at the door, whereupon we were met by a dashing gentleman in sharp black trousers and even sharper black tails. Again, this chap also had cheekbones so sharp one could neatly slice Turkish Delight on their finer points, and he had gorgeous, silken black hair draped over his shoulders and a porcelain face. I enquired if there was room for us ladies, and he apologised and fawned in the politest Japanese, little of which I could understand beyond "honourable" this and the "honourable" that, and that the cafe was full. He was still apologising and begging us to take care of our health as we proceeded down the street! Most amusing.

Besides the greeting of "Welcome home, ma'am!", eating many dainty cakes, sipping tea and being fussed over by handsome, dashing men dressed as butlers, I've heard that at a butler cafe one can choose one's farewell remark that the butler will call out to the customer on one's departure, such as:

"Off to the opera, ma'am? I'll get the car ready"
"Riding today, ma'am? I'll prepare the horses"
"I'll have the silverware polished right away, ma'am"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home