Friday, August 31, 2007

Hiroshima ahoy!

Had a rip-roaring time in ol' Hirosh, meeting up with old friends and revisiting fave places. For the first few days, I stayed with fellow schoolmistress Miss M and her lovely mother and sister at her family home, tucked away in the hills. Staying with Miss M and her family proved to be a gourmet festival, for the family are ardent cooks and have a library of books where Jamie Oliver and Nigella are happily nestled against tomes of Japanese cookery. As well, they have an extensive vegetable garden where the family grows eggplant, pumpkin, okra, tomatoes, herbs and many other edible leafy rootages. On the first evening I savoured a scrumptious meal of tempura, and on the second evening we gobbled up delicious chirashizushi (scattered sushi with eel and prawns), tai sashimi (red snapper), boiled eel served with plum and miso sauce, pickles and tofu. We also tucked into a dreamy lemony salad of egg, potato and avocado. Oishikatta desu yo!


Went to adored vintage shoppe Qrover and picked up a bronze-velvet dress in the Chinese style, while Miss M bought some 50s style scarves. The friendly staff remembered me from my many visits last year and gave me a stash of vintage cards. Miss M and I also paid a visit to my fave temple, Mitaki, where I donged the bell and swatted at insects.



Sir S joined me for my last two days in Hirosh, and we visited various eateries and drinking salons with the charming Mr M, the riotous Crazy Aya and the delightful Miss Y, as well as visiting the cheerfully-named LovePop Cafe with the equally cheerful Miss A. We also visited the Black Pearl for a hearty rum with (now that I think about it) the nautically-named Mr Anker.

I miss that town very much, and it was lovely to visit again. Hurrah for good company and much-loved Hiroshima!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home