Harajuku Gals & Boys

Day Three and our company marched forward to Harajuku, famed for eccentric fashions and Fruits* children. On the bridge near the station, the kids gather in groups and sit on the pavement with their bento lunchboxes and kitsch Hello Kitty or Disney wheelie-suitcases.** Many an interesting outfit was observed: goth yukatas with skull patterns, red parasols, pvc-glamour goths with glamrock dyed hair, Lolita maids and orange mohicans. I especially approve of the traditional Japanese costume with a gothic twist. It is a classic look and also bears testament to the Oriental influence on Western gothic fashion - think parasols, fans, ornate hairpins, and long kimono-style sleeves. On the bridge, the Fruits children were beseiged by crowds of photo-snapping tourists, which by the end of the hot afternoon proved vexing for many of the subjects. I asked permission to take photos, but was guilty of a discreet back-snap or two.
The Fruits Bridge is located near a lush, forest-like park, the entrance of which is marked by a looming stone torii gate. I enjoyed the contrast of the torii - to me a symbol of ancient and Shinto Japan - with the parade of skull yukatas, snapping fans and garish colours of the dressed-up kiddies. This is the sort of old-modern fusion that I like to savour most.
Once amid the shops of Harajuku, one can enjoy a village-like atmos. There are many winding streets and leafy alleys, the shopfronts slung low, with a bank of taller buildings behind, and as many of the shops are opened out onto the street with small al-fresco-like patios and open-louver windows, the place had a European atmos that was delightful. The main street of Harajuku was hectic with harried shoppers and lined with many goth outlets selling somewhat formulaic Supre-style goth, as well as surprisingly cheaper Lolita clothes, punk and vintage wares. I met Miss S and Miss B for an iced-kohi in a cute, conservatory-like cafe where we exchanged goss on our old and new work situations. Yay for Shibuya Betty and Tasmania-bound Miss S - it is most funsome to hear about other friends' travels, schemes and misadventures!
I *must* return to Harajuku again and explore every inch of shoppe over a longer period of time. I require three days at least!
__________
* A photobook featuring full colour snaps and bio's of Harajuku kiddies dressed up in a pastiche of fashions, accessories and hair-colours. A dog-eared, thumbed-through copy is easily found at fave Sydney reading nooks, Better Read Than Dead and Kinokuniya.
** It has been noted by Fruits-spotters that these costumed types often carry their clothes around in suitcases and change in the train station lavs rather than get ready at home ... perhaps due to their parents' disapproval? This seems a little strange, as whenever I've been in a Lolita or goth clothing shop in old Hirosh, young customers are oft accompanied by their mothers who whack the petticoats & c on the family credit card.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home