Of parasols and boaters
As the summer sun beats down on Ol’ Hirosh, I have noticed that the Japanese are very vigilant about the harmful beams, more than people Back Home. I’m not sure how much of the general covering up is to prevent nasty melanomas, but I do know that pale unblemished skin is a hallmark of beauty here and many deplore the freckled epidermis (especially for women). So it is that most people are be-hatted. Many women wear long-sleeved shirts on sunny days, and many a boater hat or cloche-style summer hat is worn. Most women equip themselves with a parasol, even for the brief errand at the local FamilyMart convenience store. And many women have a parasol fitted to their bicycles! One can buy a parasol clip from most bike-shops, mount it on their handle-bars and ride about gaily under the protection of their pretty umbrella!
Also everyone whips out a fan from their handbag, briefcase or backpack. Yes – from children, to young men, construction workers and the elderly, everyone has an o-sensu. There is nothing more alluring than a willowy man of elfin face and figure and pixie-cut hair, chatting on his mobile phone with a folded fan sticking out of his back pocket. Kakoi ne!
Also everyone whips out a fan from their handbag, briefcase or backpack. Yes – from children, to young men, construction workers and the elderly, everyone has an o-sensu. There is nothing more alluring than a willowy man of elfin face and figure and pixie-cut hair, chatting on his mobile phone with a folded fan sticking out of his back pocket. Kakoi ne!


1 Comments:
How deliciously civilised! And boaters, no less. I am rather fond of carrying a fan around myself on summery days. However I once invested (unwisely, as you will see) in a black paper parasol, which I was wont to twirl whimsically down the street. Alas, after a time the black dye in the parasol started to run, it smeared everywhere and I looked like a chimneysweep by the end of the day!
I like the idea of a of a discreet dragonfly Art-Noveau-brooch-inspired tattoo. A touch-up in future times should remedy any blurring of lines, afaik. I've seen many very delicate examples of tattoo art. The occasions that I've pondered a tattoo, I've thought of creating a b+w line art in Illustrator to bring to the tattooist, to have some idea of the final result.
Post a Comment
<< Home