Vulpine divine
A lengthier version of my speech at the Jozan Inari Shrine:
I have always shared a connection with nature and, in particular, I have felt a common bond with the fox. Since childhood, I have always had a sense of god in nature: in the autumn leaf, the crescent moon, the forest and the sea. Despite several misadventures into other churches, I have always been drawn back to the natural world for spiritual succour. In Japanese Shinto, the fox is a messenger of Inari, the rice god. In folklore, the fox is a figure of mystery, mischief and cunning. To me, the fox is insightful in thought, solitary in nature and independent in spirit. In a way, the fox is an embodiment of the wildness and beauty of gods, and ourselves. Japanese Shinto is tied very closely to nature-worship, and when I first learned of Shinto, I had an immediate sense of recognition. After I visited my first Inari shrine – Fushimi Inari near Kyoto – and lingered long among the myriad crooked monuments and the moss-covered fox guardians, I felt a sense of belonging and contentment. And this is why I wanted to marry, here, at the Jozan Inari Shrine.


3 Comments:
Mazel tov! May you have many years of happiness and good health. All at Nottlesby Manor are toasting your joyous union and are wishing ye all the best!
"Thanks, bridesmaid! Like the beard! Gives me something to hang on to!"
"Woof!!"
"I've always felt more comfy in a dress, or rather, a kimono!"
Post a Comment
<< Home