Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Miyajima

Yesterday I day-tripped to Miyajima. I previously visited this charming little island a while back for the Full Moon Festival. This time I got to go on solitary rambles through the primeval forest and the scarlet-tipped maple trees. In autumn, this island is a tourist hot-spot and people flock from all over the country to view the autumn leaves, or koyo. Only a few trees are currently in their full-blown, blood-red finery. Most trees won`t turn until mid-late November. Miyajima is famous for its grand red torii gate which stands in the sea (or wallows in the mud) according to the tide.

Miyajima has an abundance of wild deer. On my walks I would turn a corner and nearly run into a gangly-legged fawn or an antlered stag. Often the deer would be munching on grass next to mossy, stone lanterns or sleeping, legs curled up, on the wooden pagoda of a temple. I also happened upon beautiful orb spiders with blue bodies and yellow stripes, often with the last of early autumn`s dragonflies snagged in their webs.

Sir S and I will be staying at Miyajima for the Christmas weekend, where - depending on the weather - we will climb Mount Misen, take early morning rambles, visit temples, drink hot sake and perhaps have a dip in a hot spring. According to the owner of the local hotel for non-locals, it doesn`t snow in Miyajima, but methinks a festive atmos will be had with the bitter cold and the multitude of reindeers. I`m looking forward to an island Christmas by the sea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home