Friday, October 10, 2008

Hiroshima Mon Amour


Why didn't I know about this film until now?
Beautiful and sad in black and white, this film tells the story of a French woman in post-war Hiroshima, whose love affair with a Japanese man unleashes tormenting memories of her forbidden love with a German soldier, the rejection she endured from her village, and loss. The flashback sequences and image montages certainly seem ahead of their time and capture most engagingly the haze of fumbled memories intertwined with present-day happenings. I'm also intrigued by the pairing of a white woman and an Asian man in a 1959 film, surely this was groundbreaking stuff in its day? Eiji Okada was rather the dish!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a French film, no? I vaguely remember studying it at Uni, and, alas, due to the rampant philisinism of Youth, I recall it made less of an impression on me than some of the more lively of Alain Delon's films ("Shoot the Piano Player" prime amongst them - chaps in hats, guns, trains, it had everything to appeal to my undergraduate sensibilities).

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home