Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Famous Five Head to Radish Island

Miss Usagi, Mr K, their dear landowners and myself took a day trip during Golden Week to winkle out the smugglers at Daikonshima or Radish Island. I was more than taken aback when not even a root-end of a radish (or smuggler, for that matter) could be spotted, but everywhere I turned I came upon a blooming peony. Yes, Radish Island is Shimane's famous home to peonies and they are abundant. Saint Bernard's beard, they even have their own individual woven huts! And the gardens were splendid.

Peony tee-pees in artificial twilight



Zen


Wisteria abuzz with bees



Irises: along with koi carp, symbols of Boys' Day




Carp fleeing storm




Our island adventures concluded sheltering from the fierce wind with a cup of maccha latte in hand

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That foaming receptacle holds no beverage I've ever seen before. Maybe it's the same source (sauce?) liquid that the fine chefs of Korean Airlines saw fit to decant into their green cake extravaganza...!

2:30 am  
Blogger Random Citizen said...

That green foaming goodness is authentic Japanese-style green tea. Extremely rare outside of the Japanese isles (at least, I've never been able to locate it). Usually it's extremely bitter, which is why they serve lollies and candied fruits and cakes with it, but Miss Ember will enlightened me as to this particular brand's effect on the tastebuds.

9:52 am  
Blogger Random Citizen said...

And may I just say, nothing beats Japan for sheer KAWAAAAIIIIIIII-ness.

9:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite. Call me a rank philistine, but I am not sure that I can bring myself to quaff deeply of a foaming green cup - no matter how fond I may otherwise be of green tea in all it's permutations :)

4:01 am  
Blogger Sir S said...

don't even try Nottlesby - it's gross stuff... and I am fond of bitterness in my drinks!

2:19 am  
Blogger Miss Ember said...

Actually, this one was quite sweet, only because it was made from a pre-powdered sugary latte concoction.

Generally I quite enjoy the maccha experience, but I must admit I have trouble staring at the green froth as I swallow ...

5:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home